Monday, March 7, 2011

Veggie Tacos




I'm a sucker for Mexican food. Like, big time. And while I really wouldn't call this "Mexican," it is INSPIRED by my favorite foods.

The night before I'd made this recipe, I had made some guacamole and shredded some cabbage for shrimp tacos. I think I've come to rely on different varieties of tacos as a quick, easy and tasty meal that you can really make any night of the week.

I used the guacamole I'd made, shredded cabbage, a few slices of lime I had left, and some salsa I'd bought. The only real "cooking" required were some onions I caramelized to put on top. SO GOOD. It killed two birds with one stone -- I got a yummy lunch, and I used up a lot of the stuff that was taking up space in my fridge. Enjoy!

Veggie Tacos
Makes 4 tacos

4 small flour tortillas
1/4 cup guacamole
shredded cabbage
shredded carrot
chopped tomatoes
fresh corn
black beans
1/2 cup sliced red onions
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 tablespoon butter
1/4 cup sour cream
4 lime wedges

Heat the tortillas on a gas stove top or grill. Spread guacamole evenly on center of tortillas. Distribute the cabbage, corn, carrot, black beans, tomato and sour cream to your tastes.

In a skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. When melted and the pan is good and hot, toss in the onions and move them around. Let them cook, stirring every couple minutes, until they are translucent and beginning to brown. Sprinkle the sugar over the onions (to help along the caramelization) and let them cook, stirring every minute or so, for another five minutes.

Top the tacos with the onions, and then with your favorite salsa. Garnish with a lime wedge. Enjoy!



*Salsa: You can use any kind you prefer, or even make your own. May I suggest... this recipe if you're looking to make your own. If you want to save time and buy salsa... generally, I'm not a HUGE fan, or wasn't until recently. I don't like the texture and taste of most store-bought salsas, and then I discovered Frontera. The brand is actually that of Chicago restaurateur Rick Bayless (yes, that one!), and they really are super high quality. The tastes are unique and as soon as I tried them, I was hooked. The flavors I bought were Roasted Tomato and Tomatillo. They're available at most grocery stores, and totally worth the money.

No comments: